15 November 2010

Life Sketch by Jenny Shelton

Marcus Norvell Shelton was born Dec. 23, 1972, in Provo, Utah, the third son of Boyd Norvell Shelton and Bonnie Lee Lofthouse.  Early on Christmas morning his older brothers, Todd and Michael, awoke to find him in a red felt stocking under the Christmas tree.  They were so excited that Santa had brought them a new baby brother.
When his father graduated the following spring from Brigham Young University he moved with his family to the Everett, Washington area where he was joined by two more brothers, Richard and Nathaniel, and a baby sister, Mistie.  He loved exploring the swamps and woods behind their house with his brothers.  He attended kindergarten and most of first grade at Cascade Elementary School in Marysville.  
In the spring of 1980 his family moved to Boise, ID, where he finished elementary school at Jackson Elementary, attended West Jr. High, and Borah High School, graduating in 1991.  Sister, Jenny Lee, and brother, Matthew David, joined the family in Boise.
Very early in life I realized how much I had in common with Marcus. We both had birthdays that were lumped with the Christmas Season, we both loved to be the center of attention, and we both knew how to get our way. Because of these things and many more, I started looking up to Marcus as more than just a big brother but a person that I could relate to and be like.
Marcus really paved a way for me. I learned a lot from him. I learned that if I held to the bad habit of sucking my thumb until I was 8, I could get a cabbage patch doll for it. Although he did it much better and held off til he was 12 and got a bike from his compromise. I remember when I started choir in junior high, I got very comfortable with the teacher and class because of the long Shelton history. I started to act out and cause raucous in the class. I remember after class one day, Mr Olson took me aside and said “Jenny don’t be loud and obnoxious like your brother Marcus, be like your sweet and good sister Mistie.” I actually didn’t find this a deterrent at all, but a compliment to be like Marcus in any way. I think Marcus and I both had the same struggle of trying to find our place in the family. Each sibling seeming so perfect and flawless that we decided there was no point in competing so we went against the grain. It was because of the struggles that my dad and Marcus went through during his teenage years that my dad had a much better handle on conflicts of curfews, driving privileges, and just the simple fact of trying to watch his children struggle with growing up and becoming an adult. From Marcus, my dad perfected his discipline tactic of long walks and talks and then the inevitable hug and “feel good” pep talk before he called the punishment complete. It was because of Marcus and my constant struggle with acting out that both of us became so close to our father.
While Marcus struggled with his teen years, he started to struggle with activity in the church. My heart was broken by my hero. And I somehow felt personally responsible for helping him get back on the straight and narrow. In efforts to help him, I had asked him to baptize me at age 8. Although many little girls had their father’s do their baptism, I felt very close to Marcus and wanted him to be the one to baptize me. I remember how proud I was to tell people that my favorite brother was doing this ordination for me. This experience just made Marcus and my bond even closer.
Marcus and Colleen met in a music appreciation class at BSU. They got married on his 23rd birthday in 1995. In 1996, my parents, Matthew, and I moved to Utah for my dad’s employment.
My move from Boise was very hard on me and I remember asking my parents several times if I could move back to Boise to live with Marcus and Colleen. Of course this never happened, but during the summer between my sophomore and junior year of college I had worked out a plan to live with Marcus and Colleen. Marcus took me under his wing by finding me a job at his work that would allow me to have Sundays off to go to church and evenings off so I could have a social life. During that summer he planned countless adventures for me and my friends including a night at PoJo’s, rafting down the Boise River, and a weekend trip to Sun Valley with my best friends. That summer will always be the one I treasure the most.
Since that time, I have found that Marcus was the one person I would call for guidance and advice. I felt very comfortable talking to him about anything. I knew that no matter what my faults or weakness he would never judge me and encouraged to me to be the best person I could be. And even more he encouraged me to stay on the straight and narrow path.
When I got the news that Marcus’s cancer was worse than the family had expected, I called him immediately to get the truth directly from him. I had one last hope that this was one of his bad jokes that he had taken too far but instead got the heart wrenching news. Before his chemo started, we made it a point to meet in Sun Valley for a weekend trip for Marcus to meet my new boyfriend, Matthew. Matthew and Marcus got along quickly since Marcus was the male version of me. I called him often while he was getting treatments to check up on him and in return he asked for updates on my relationship with Matthew. Soon the conversations turned into pressure as for wedding plans. One night I had gotten pressured a little too much and Marcus called apologetically. He expressed that he was just so excited to see how happy I was, that he wanted to be around for the wedding, and so proud to see that I was doing it the right way. I am just sorry now that I didn’t do as soon as he was pressuring so he could be there, although I still know he is on the other side just as delighted that I have found a new best friend to fill the void he left.
I will always remember the many things I have learned from Marcus. I will remember to always belt song even if you are unsure of the lyrics. I will remember that no matter how humiliating your most embarrassing moments can be, you can’t keep them to yourself if it is going to bring entertainment to a group. I will remember to love my life and to love everything that is thrown at you. I will always strive to be a fun loving person like him. I will be a good person to everyone for the reason of just wanting to, instead of out of obligation. I will care for all those around me. I will get to know everyone I come in contact with because they have worth. Although Marcus is gone I know he will always be someone I will look up to, someone who will always be watching over me and cheering me on, he will always be my hero, someone I will constantly be learning from, and he will always be my eternal brother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment